Get started with 2-minute rule
Scale any task down into a 2-minute version to make it easier to get started.
Whenever you find it hard to get started on a task, consider scaling it down into a 2-minute version. For example,
- Read a book → Read one page
- Write an essay → Write one sentence
- Run 10 miles → Wear my running shoes
- Do 100 push-ups → Do 1 push up
- Eat more vegetables → Eat an apple
- Study for interview → Skim through my notes
- Build a program → Code a function
The idea is to make it super easy to get started. Once you pass the starting point, which is arguably the hardest step, you start to gain momentum to keep doing the task itself:
- Read one page → Read 10 pages → Finish the first chapter
- Write one sentence → Write an opening paragraph → Write the body
- Wear my running shoes → Walk for 5 minutes → Run for 5 minutes
As you can see, once you start, it is much easier to continue doing it. Sometimes, you’ll find yourself completing the task even before you even notice it.
For more insights on system planning and goal setting, feel free to check out this guide.
Tagged: #motion.hoanhan.co, #consistency, #start