David Hauser, Grasshopper, $32m/year
What is the product?
Virtual phone system.
What is its current revenue?
$32 millions a year.
What is the business model?
How did the founder come up with their idea?
- Could not find a good solution for handling inbound calls professionally.
- Started right away, developed the software started selling as quickly as possible.
- Became profitable after 3 months.
How did they know it was the right one?
- They have learned a lot over the years starting their own businesses so they knew there was a need.
- They were good at targeting the right group because of their experiences.
What did it take to get the initial product out the door?
- Had almost no money so aimed to get revenue as quickly as possible.
- Used funding from other ventures and borrowing from friends and relatives.
- Did a lot of of coding himself.
How did they get their first paying customers?
- There was no social media, PPC or AdWords back then.
- Bought keyword traffic from Omnitrure, used organic SEO, though he said these tatics wouldn’t work today. Basically test as many channels as possible, and get feedbacks quickly.
Tagged: #early-days, #indiehackers